Baby Sheep Cardigan and Hat
Knitting pattern for a cute baby jacket and hat. Quick to knit and makes a lovely baby shower gift for a newborn or for toddlers up to the age of 18 months.
Soft and fluffy sheep feature on this baby cardigan and hat set. Easy to knit in garter stitch and stocking stitch. The sheep are knitted on the fronts of the jacket and on the hat and is a great pattern for trying your hand at intarsia knitting (picture knitting).
The pattern uses 3 to 4 (dependant on size) 50 gram balls for the main colour in double knitting yarn DK/8 ply (11 wpi). A small amount of black double knitting yarn is required for the sheep plus 1-25 gram ball of Sirdar Snowflake DK yarn or similar fluffy yarn.
Tension - 22 stiches and 28 rows 10cm (4 inches) using 4 mm (UK8 - USA6) needles over stocking stitch.
A link to the yarn supplier and yarn quantities are provided in the pattern.
Pattern Language - English
- Age range included in the pattern Newborn to 18 months
- Illustrated Knitting Pattern
- US Imperial Measurement / Metric Measurement
- Large coloured intarsia chart for the Sheep
Materials you need at home:
- 3-4 50 gram balls of double knitting yarn for main colour, a small amount of black double knitting yarn and 1-25 gram ball of Sirdar Snowflake DK yarn or similar fluffy yarn.
- Knitting Needles - 1 pair of 4 mm (UK8 - USA6) and 1 pair of 3 ¼ mm (UK10 - USA3)
- 3 buttons
I first started to design clothes for my children when they were younger and went on to sell garments through shops and craft fairs. I also taught the use of machine knitting and knitwear design. I later followed a career in IT, but I now have grandchildren and whilst hand knitting for them was inspired to start designing and creating knitting patterns again.