Inspired by Victorian caps, the lace droplet pattern circles around the Hat, creating an interesting concentric effect, with the shaping cleverly incorporated into the pattern.
Pattern is worked from the bottom up and includes charts for both the stitch pattern and the crown shaping.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, specialist cast-on
Gauge 18 sts x 24 rows to 4in/10cm on 4.5mm needles over St.St. 18 sts x 26 rows to 4in/10cm on 4.5mm needles over Twisted Rib, lightly stretched
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 19 (22, 25) in/48.25 (56, 63.5) cm (Finished size 17 (19, 21.25) in/43 (48.5, 54.25) cm)
- Written & charted instructions; illustrated tutorials for Alternate Cable & Cable cast-ons
Materials you need at home:
- 116 (153, 195) yd/106 (140, 179) m Aran weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Eden Cottage Langdale Superwash Aran (180yd/165m per 100g; 100% Merino))
- 26yd/24m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 4.5mm/UK7/US7 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.