This wonderfully structured design is knit in a buttery soft yarn, resulting in a striking and very wearable Hat. The ridges are created using a combination of knitted tucks and folding hems, and all the techniques needed are included in the pattern.
6 sizes are included to ensure the perfect fit. The Hat is worked in the round and bottom up.
Skills required : Knit & purl stitches, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, I-cords, provisional cast-on, joining live sts
Gauge: 20 sts x 26 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over St.St.
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 16 (17, 19, 20, 21, 23) in/40.75 (43.25, 48.25, 51, 53.25, 58.5) cm (Finished size 14.5 (15.5, 16.75, 18, 19.25, 20.5) in/36.75 (39.25, 42.5, 45.75, 49, 52) cm)
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Provisional cast-on, Picking up Stitches & Joining Live Stitches
Materials you need at home:
- Yarn A 52 (67, 74, 93, 101, 121) yd/48 (62, 68, 86, 93, 111) m worsted weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted (225yd/206m per 114g; 100% Superwash merino))
- Yarn B 31 (48, 54, 60, 78, 83) yd/29 (44, 50, 56, 71, 76) m, * 28yd/26m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St in either yarn
- Set 4mm/UK8/US6 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- 4mm/USG crochet hook (provisional cast-on)
- Approx. 2yd/2m waste yarn (provisional cast-on)
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.