Bóithrín (pronounced ‘Boreen’) is Irish for ‘a little road’.
My little boy loves cars. And trucks. And bikes. And aeroplanes. And motorbikes. And lorries. And diggers. And cranes. And trains. And buses, which is pretty handy, as we live in a bus. It doesn’t matter whether it’s an old rusty banger or slick stickered racing car, if it moves and makes a noise, he wants one.
And so this Hat, inspired by race tracks, road markings and tyre treads came to be. Bóithrín is the perfect Hat for little boys obsessed with vehicles, a modern take on the classic intarsia motif pieces and the perfect project to practice a few new techniques.
Skills required: Knit & pur sts, increases & decreases, short rows, provisional cast-on, grafting
Gauge: 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 inches in St st
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 15 (17, 20) inches (Finished measurements circumference 12¼ (14¾, 17¼) inches, length 5¾ (6¼, 6¾) inches)
- written and charted instructions
Materials you need at home:
- Square Top Hat - yarn A 32 [42, 53] yd/29 [38, 48] m, yarn B 26 [34, 44] yd/23 [31, 40] m worsted weight, plied yarn (sample shown in Ewe Ewe Wooly Worsted (100% Merino Superwash; 95 yards/86 meters per 1.75 ounce/50 gram skein))
- Beanie - yarn A 32 [42, 52] yd/29 [38, 47] m, yarn B 23 [32, 43] yd/21 [29, 39] m worsted weight, plied yarn
- US 7/4.5mm straight needles
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Approximately 2 meters waste yarn
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.