Knitting pattern for a Child's Unicorn Cardigan (ages 1 to 7 years) in self-striping yarn which gives the look of Fair Isle without all the hard work. The Unicorns are knitted on the fronts of the jacket and this is a great pattern for trying your hand at intarsia knitting (picture knitting). The manes are sewn afterwards to give a 3D affect.
The pattern uses 3 to 5 (dependant on size) 50 gram balls for the main colour in double knitting yarn DK/8 ply (11 wpi) and small amounts of White and Black Double Knitting Yarn for the Unicorns.
Knitting needles required are 1 pair 4 mm (UK8 - USA6) and 1 pair of 3 ¼ mm (UK10 - USA3)
4-5 buttons are required for the front of the cardigan.
Tension - 22 stiches and 28 rows 10cm (4 inches) using 4 mm (UK8 - USA6) needles over stocking stitch.
The pattern covers the sizes: 1-2 years 2-3 years 4-5 years 6-7 years
Pattern Language - English
- Illustrated Knitting Pattern
- US Imperial Measurement / Metric Measurement
- Ages 1 to 7 years
- Large intarsia charts for the Unicorns
Materials you need at home:
- 3 to 5 (dependant on size) 50g balls main for the main colour in double knitting yarn DK/8 ply (11 wpi)
- Small amounts of black and white double knitting yarn for the unicorns
- 4-5 buttons
- 1 pair 4 mm (U8 - USA6) knitting needles
- 1 pair of 3 ¼ mm (UK10 - USA3) knitting needles
I first started to design clothes for my children when they were younger and went on to sell garments through shops and craft fairs. I also taught the use of machine knitting and knitwear design. I later followed a career in IT, but I now have grandchildren and whilst hand knitting for them was inspired to start designing and creating knitting patterns again.