Warm DK yarn and cleverly shaped earflaps make Cornice the ideal choice for cold weather. Add a pompom and enjoy classic ski Hat styling with a fresh colour twist.
Despite the elegant architectural design, Cornice uses only knit and purl stitches, plus simple increases and decreases. Written in five sizes, with tutorials for the cable cast-on and knitting in the round, it’s an accessible and rewarding knit.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, pompoms
Gauge: 24 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.5mm over St.St. 24 sts x 48 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.5mm over Garter St.
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 18 (19.5, 21, 22.5, 24) in/ 45.75 (49.5, 53.25, 57.25, 61) cm
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Cable Cast-on & Knitting in the Round; schematic for pompom
Materials you need at home:
- 100 (113, 133, 149, 173) yd/90 (102, 120, 134, 155) m DK weight, single ply yarn (Sample shown in Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend (300yd/270m per 100g; 70% Merino, 30% Silk))
- 83yd/75m yarn for the pompom (optional; can also be a different yarn, leftovers etc)
- 47yd/43m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 3.5mm/UK--/US4 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.