Sideways-knit garter stitch hugs the head, with a wide chevron band creating movement and even more elasticity for a great fit. Increases and decreases shape that beautiful chevron, but it’s short rows that mimic the classic spiralling crown on this multi-directional beanie.
Written for three sizes, the pattern also includes tutorials for the provisional cast-on and Kitchener stitch in garter stitch.
Sample shown in Whimzy Twisted MN [399yd/365m per 100g; 80% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon]. Shown in size 21in/53.25cm on model with 22in/56cm circumference head.
To fit sizes: 19 [21, 23] in/48.25 [53.25, 58.5] cm Finished size: 16 [18, 20] in/40.75 [45.75, 50.75] cm Finished depth: 6.75 [7.75, 8.5] in/17.25 [19.75, 21.5] cm
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, increases & decreases, short rows, provisional cast-on, grafting.
- Written instructions
- Illustrated tutorials for Provisional Cast-on & Kitchener Stitch (Garter St.)
- Pattern in metric and imperial measurements
Materials you need at home:
- 160 [198, 240] yd/147 [181, 219] m 4Ply, fingering or sock weight, plied yarn (Gauge 28 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.75mm needles over St.St. / 28 sts x 48 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.75mm needles over Garter St.)
- 50yd/46m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in Garter.St.
- Pair 2.75mm/UK12/US2 straight needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- 2.75mm crochet hook
- Approx. 3yd/3m waste yarn
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.