Like Dancette, Gallone features a sideways-knit garter chevron, but takes it in quite a different stylistic direction. Worked at a narrower width and placed right on the brim, this chevron provides an energetic start to a distinctly different slouch Hat. Stitches are then picked up around the brim and the crown is worked upwards in garter stitch, with just four columns of knit stitches to provide definition, before being closed in a dramatic deep envelope finish.
Five sizes are provided, with tutorials for the provisional cast-on and Kitchener stitch in garter stitch.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, provisional cast-on, Kitchener stitch (garter)
Gauge: 32 sts x 44 rows to 4in/10cm on 2mm needles over St.St. 32 sts x 56 rows to 4in/10cm on 2mm needles over Garter St.
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 14 (16.5, 19, 21.5, 24) in/35.5 (42, 48.25, 54.5, 61) cm (Finished size 11.5 (13.75, 16, 18.25, 20.5) in/29.25 (35, 40.75, 46.5, 52) cm)
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Provisional Cast-on and Garter Stitch Kitchener
Materials you need at home:
- 222 (275, 339, 399, 472) yd/203 (252, 310, 366, 432) m sock/fingering/4ply weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in The Knitting Goddess British Wool & Nylon Sock (437yd/400m per 100g; 75% Mixed British Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon))
- 43yd/40m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 2mm/UK14/US0 & 2.25mm/UK13/US1 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- 2mm crochet hook
- Approx. 1yd/1m waste yarn
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.