Stranded knitting is used to full effect with this charming little Hat. Robot-like characters adorn the main body, and the distinctive crown is created through a combination of cleverly placed stripes and the crochet bind-off method.
Hat is worked in the round and bottom up, with a full 5 sizes included. A chart is provided for the colourwork.
Skills required: Knit & purl stitches, alternate cable cast-on, stranded knitting techniques, crochet bind-off.
Gauge: 24 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.25mm needles over Twisted Rib 24 sts x 30 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.5mm needles over Stranded Motif
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 16 (18, 20, 22, 24) in/ 40.75 (45.75, 51, 56, 61) cm (Finished size 15 (16.75, 18.25, 20, 21.75) in/ 38 (42.5, 46.25, 51, 55.25) cm)
- Written & charted instructions; illustrated tutorials for Alternate Cable & Cable cast-ons, Crochet Bind-off; Crown shaping schematic
Materials you need at home:
- Yarn A 42 (48, 63, 69, 88) yd/38 (44, 58, 63, 81) m sport weight, single ply yarn (Sample shown in Brown Sheep Lanaloft Sports weight (145yd/133m per 50g; 100% Wool))
- Yarn B 48 (66, 82, 95, 114) yd/44 (60, 75, 87, 105) m yarn
- 36yd/33m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St
- Set 3.25mm/UK10/US3 & 3.5mm/UK--/US4 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.