Use a rainbow of colour to knit a cuddly caterpillar. This big toy also doubles up as a handy draught excluder. Designed by Amanda Berry @fluffandfuzz, the caterpillar is knitted in acrylic aran yarns on single pointed needles (not in the round). A combination of knits and purls gives the ribbed texture to the caterpillar’s body. For confident beginners and above, other techniques used include casting on and off, knits, purls, work a kfb increase and k2tog decrease, knit stripes, and seaming to finish.
- Instructions for making the caterpillar and photos.
- A materials list and recommended yarns.
- The pattern is 3 pages and written in English.
- Measurements are in metric.
Materials you need at home:
- A pair of straight 4mm knitting needles (US 6)
- Aran weight acrylic yarns (worsted weight)
- Toy filling
- Buttons for eyes
What others have made
My name is Amanda Berry, a designer and knitter specialising in creating knitted toys stuffed with a little fluff and fuzz!
My designs have been published in magazines including Let’s Knit, Simply Knitting and Knit Now.