Heather - High Waist Front Pleat Shorts Sewing Pattern
A good pair of shorts are a summer staple - easy to dress up or down and as comfortable as they are stylish. These Heather shorts really fit the bill, offering a flattering high waisted design, double front pleats, front fly and large slanted side pockets - because let’s face it, pockets make everything better.
I think of these as my ‘nice’ shorts, for when I want to feel well put together yet summer ready. The Heather shorts combine a touch of classic elegance in the high waist and pleat front, together with comfort and practicality. On a warm summer day, you want to be comfortable and confident you look great.
The design of these shorts is such that you can really make them your own with your fabric choice. Heavyweight linen, twill, drill and cotton blends give a stylish tailored look - with plain fabrics creating a classy, sophisticated feel, or bold prints letting you explore more vintage inspired looks and fun statement styles.
With a flattering easy-to-wear high waisted shape, these shorts pair perfectly with shirts and t-shirts. Long sleeve tops also work really well with the Heather shorts, giving a polished look with an effortless feel. For a super cute two-piece outfit, combine with the Blossom Crop Top [link] in matching prints or co-ordinating fabrics.
Some sewing knowledge and experience is ideal when making these shorts, however there are video demonstrations for installing the zipper that are handy if that’s something you haven’t tackled yet but would like to learn.
*** This is a layered pattern and comes with a version suitable for projectors.
- PDF Instructions with illustrations
- Sizes: 8 – 18, size guide in cm and inches
- Downloadable A4/Letter/AO Printable Sewing Pattern
Materials you need at home:
- Fabric: 140cm wide = 110cm
- Lining: Thin lightweight cotton like a cotton lawn, 140cm wide fabric = 35cm
- Interfacing: I have used both a weft interfacing and a woven interfacing. My preference is the Birch woven medium fusible interfacing. 90cm wide = 45cm
- Zipper: sizes 8 - 12 = 7 inch, sizes 14 - 18 = 8 inch
- Button: 1 x 18 - 20mm button
- Bias Binding: 9mm x 270cm double fold bias tape. You can make this using the 18mm bias binding tool.
Lauren van der Mast
Hi, I’m Lauren - a fashion loving, sewing savvy creative who is passionate about finding happiness, balance and inspiration in life. Whether you’re a seasoned seamstress or just starting to sew, I hope I can inspire you to make and create your own great fashionable clothing.