Seafoam stitch is ideal for showing off variegated yarns, as the elongated stitches give those colour changes room to breathe while creating gentle ripples instead of harsh stripes. Here it is worked in a classic beret that creates the maximum real estate for those painterly effects.
The pattern is written in four sizes and includes charted as well as written instructions, with a tutorial for the alternate cable cast-on.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, specialist cast-on, yarn overs
Gauge: 20 sts x 30 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over St.St. 20 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over Twisted Rib 18 sts x 35 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over stitch pattern
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 18 (20, 22, 24) in/ 45.75 (50.75, 56, 61) cm (Finished size 16 (17.5, 19.25, 20.75) in/ 40.75 (44.5, 49, 52.75) cm)
- Written & charted instructions; illustrated tutorial for Alternate Cable cast-on
Materials you need at home:
- 118 (141, 167, 194) yd/108 (130, 153, 178) m worsted weight, single ply yarn(Sample shown in Malabrigo Merino Worsted (216yd/198m per 100g; 100% Merino))
- 35yd/33m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St..
- Set 4mm/UK8/US6 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.