Kanta is Swedish for “braid” and for “edge.” What name is more suited for this unusual hat? Not only is the Kanta hat is knitted sideways in garter stitch, but the braided edge detail also does not involve any cable knitting. This is a lovely knit when looking for something different!
This pattern contains instructions for three sizes, ranging from child to adult. The hat pictured is in the largest size. A photo tutorial on how to work the braid is included.
Sizes and finished measurements: To fit size: 45 (53, 61) cm / 17 ¾ (20 ¾, 24) inches. Finished size: 40 (48, 56) cm / 15 ¾ (19, 22) inches circumference, after washing and gentle blocking.
When choosing your hat size, take 2.5 – 5 cm (1 – 2 inches) of negative ease into account for a fitted hat. For a more slouchy fit, take approx. 0 – 2.5 cm (0 – 1 inch) of positive ease into account.
Difficulty level: The Kanta Hat is started with a provisional cast-on. Other techniques used consist of short rows, mid-row bind off and cast-on of stitches, and a 3-needle bind off. The eye-catching braid does not involve cable knitting.
Stitches used include knit, purl and slipping stitches. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
- Written pattern
- Instructions in English
- US Imperial and metric measurements
- Suitable for the intermediate knitter
- Links to tutorials by the designer for techniques used
- Kanta is written for a gauge of approx. 13 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over garter stitch after washing and gentle blocking.
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
- Photo tutorial on the braiding technique is included
Materials you need at home:
- Yarn: 65 (95, 125) m (70 (105, 140) yds) / 65 (95, 125) g Garnstudio DROPS Andes [65% wool, 35% alpaca; 100 m (109 yds) per 100 g]. Substitute any wool or wool-blend super bulky weight yarn for a similar result.
- Knitting needles in your preferred style in the following sizes (or to match gauge): Size 5 mm (US 8) needles, and an extra size 5 mm (US 8) needle for working the 3-needle bind off.
- Yarn needle
- 1 stitch marker
- Waste yarn for provisional cast-on
- 1 button with a diameter of approx. 4.5 cm (1 ¾ inch)
- 1 crochet hook in size 8 mm (US L) (optional, for braiding)
How lovely to meet you! I’m Susanne Visch and I live in the Netherlands. Not only the country of tulips, cheese, and windmills but also of Dutch Design.
I find it important to provide user-friendly instructions for interesting patterns. In most cases, my patterns feature both written and charted instructions, with detailed explanations of the techniques used.