Kernmantle’s striking effect stems from the contrast in gauge between the dense cable and its background of moss stitch. The slouch format thus gets a structural element that's underlined by starting the cable right at the brim, with a perfect edge achieved by using two different cast-ons (tutorials provided).
Four sizes accommodate everyone from baby to large adult, with both written and charted instructions included.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, specialist cast-on, cables
Gauge: 20 sts x 30 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over St.St. 20 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over Twisted Rib, lightly stretched 18 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm on 4.5mm needles over Moss (Seed) Stitch 12 st cable panel = 1.5in/3.75cm on 4mm needles
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 17 (19, 22, 24) in/43.25 (48.25, 55.75, 61) cm (Finished size 14.75 (16.75, 18.75, 20.75) in/37.5 (42.5, 47.5, 52.75) cm)
- Written & charted instructions; illustrated tutorials for Alternate Cable & Cable cast-ons
Materials you need at home:
- 129 (162, 206, 254) yd/118 (148, 188, 233) m worsted weight, single ply yarn (Sample shown in Malabrigo Merino Worsted (210yd/192m per 100g; 100% Merino))
- 51yd/47m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 4mm/UK8/US6 & 4.5mm/UK7/US7 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
- Cable needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.