Short rows are used to create off centre stripes in garter stitch, that carry right through to the crown. 5 sizes are included to ensure the perfect fit, and due to the pattern structure, the range of sizes is created by two different weight yarns. The Hat is worked in the round and bottom up.
Skills required: Knit & purl stitches, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, short rows, specialist cast-on
Gauge for sizes 18in & 21in: 28 sts x 56 rows to 4in/10cm on 3mm needles over Garter St. 28 sts x 40 rows to 4in/10cm on 3mm needles over Twisted Rib
Gauge for sizes 16in, 19in & 23in: 26 sts x 52 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.25mm needles over Garter St. 26 sts x 37 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.25mm needles over Twisted Rib
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 16 (18, 19, 21, 23) in/ 40.75 (45.75, 48.25, 53.25, 58.5) cm (Finished size 13.75 (15.5, 16.5, 18, 19.5) in/ 35 (39.25, 42, 45.75, 49.5) cm)
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Alternate Cable cast-on and Short rows
Materials you need at home:
- Materials for sizes 18in & 21in
- Yarn A 66 (100) yd/61 (90) m (e.g. Cascade 220 Sport (164yd150m/50g; 100% Superwash Merino))
- Yarn B 88 (113) yd/81 (103) m
- 64yd/59m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St
- Set 3mm/UK11/US2½ DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Materials for sizes 16in, 19in & 23in
- Yarn A 41 (65, 95) yd/37 (59, 87) m (e. g. Rowan Pure Wool DK (136yd/124m/50g; 100% Superwash Merino))
- Yarn B 54 (83, 116) yd/49 (75, 106) m
- 60yd/55m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St
- Set 3.25mm/UK10/US3 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.