A fearsome, friendly soft toy lion. Charlie's pattern has 11 pages of easy to follow instructions with photos and diagrams to help as you stitch. He is a fully jointed lion with the option of hand shading his features (tutorial on this is included - very worthwhile).
Charlie can be made in any short pile fabric, but if you want to shade his face, I recommend a smooth fabric at least for his head for best effect. My lions pictured are wearing a faux suede but plush, velvet, even a mini cord would suit.
This lion is suitable for older children and collectors. Due to the parts used he is only suitable to befriend younger children as a keepsake, out of reach.
Previous soft toy making would help but full instructions are given for every stage and I'm always happy to help too if you hit a sticky patch.
- Full step by step instructions
- Lots of reference photos and illustrations
- hand shading tutorial
Materials you need at home:
- Fat 1/8th metre main fabric (30 x 50cm) *Fabric pens or artist quality pencils (optional), *Scissors, pins, needles, *30cm chenille stem (optional)
- Long fur for mane 6" x 10" (15 x 24cm approx.)
- 6mm Glass or plastic safety eyes
- 5 x 18mm cotter pin joints
- Felt or fabric for footpads - 6" square (15cm) or larger
- Nose and toes embroidery thread
- Toy stuffing
- Fabric pens or artist quality pencils (optional)
- Sewing cotton, scissors, pins and needle
I love making softies, from cute and cuddly to slightly quirky (like me). You'll find a whole menagerie of animals to sew from teds to lions, with the odd dragon and ostritch too. Hope you enjoy stitching them - and have fun x