These adorable baby leggings are designed to be gender-neutral and practical, and the worsted weight yarn it calls for makes it a very quick knit. Perfect for those last minute baby shower gifts or for a quick project when you are in the mood for instant gratification :)
This design really makes beautiful yarn sing. Use solids for an elegant, understated look, or use semi-solids or variegated yarns for a more playful effect.
These leggings are knit seamlessly from the waist to ankle, featuring an easy textured stitch detail along each side and on the cuffs. A ribbed waistband with an I-cord tie ensures a secure fit around the waist. Short rows worked in the seat area as well as a generous gusset at the crotch (requiring a small amount of grafting) help accommodate even bulky diapers. Some negative ease is built-in for a close-fitting look, so it’s best to use yarn that has some stretch to it.
SKILLS REQUIRED: casting on, knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, short rows, grafting (link to kitchener stitch tutorial provided), binding off.
SIZES: NB (3mo, 6mo, 12mo, 18mo-2yo) To fit waist: 16 (18, 19, 20, 21) inches or 40.5 (45.5, 48.5, 51, 53.5) cm. Garment waist: 15 (17, 18.25, 19, 20) inches or 38 (43, 46.5, 48.5, 51) cm. In general it’s best to go by the child’s actual waist measurements when selecting the appropriate size. You can also choose a size according to how much ease you’d like the garment to have.
- knitting pattern (pdf file)
- US Imperial Measurements AND Metric Measurements
- 5 sizes from Newborn to 2yo
- Suitable for an intermediate knitter
- links to tutorials provided
Materials you need at home:
Approximately 170 (200, 225, 275, 325) yards or 155 (183, 206, 251, 297) meters of worsted weight merino or merino blend yarn. If doing contrasting ties: ties require approximately 40 yards or 37 meters of contrasting color yarn.
- US 8 or 5mm 16” or 40cm circular needle (or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge)
- 1 set of matching dpns for legs
- US 7 or 4.5mm 16” or 40cm circular needle or dpn for NB size only (or one size smaller than above for ribbed stitch waistband)
- Two US 4 / 3.5mm double-pointed needles for I-cord
- 9 stitch markers (I recommend using a different colored marker for the BOR marker)
- tapestry needle
- 2 stitch holders or pieces of scrap yarn
18 sts x 28 rounds = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch in the round using larger needles, after blocking
Originally from France, I have been living abroad for as long as I can remember, with one brief parenthèse of Parisian life during my college years. After almost 12 years in the US, I am now living in Northern Germany with my husband and 2 kids.
I published my first pattern in 2008, and have been designing ever since, with a particular love for children’s knits that are timeless yet whimsical.