Mairead girls aran coat - knitting pattern
This little coat is cozy and warm, and you could knit it in different colours, make it shorter as a jacket, or as a longer coat to keep little knees warm on a snowy walk.
The actual garment measures 24, 26 or 28 inches around at the chest. There are seven pages to the pattern, with written instructions and photographs. Worsted yarn was used for the pictured garment, you don't need to use the yarn specified as long as you make sure that you check the gauge. The garment is knit flat, so only straight needles are required.
- PDF knitting pattern with photographs
- Written pattern (no chart)
- Sizes are in inches, but supplies are in both imperial and metric
- Suitable for experienced knitters
Materials you need at home:
- You will need
- For yarn, I used a 16oz ball of Red Heart comfort yarn, and had plenty left over for accessories.
- Knitting needles Pair each of needles, sizes 4mm (8 U.K., 6 U.S.) and 3.5mm (10 U.K., 3 U.S.)
- Cable needle
- Yarn needle
- Buttons or toggles of your choice
- Stitch markers or small safety pins for marking button locations
I learned to knit as a child living in both Ireland and England. I love the intricate work of aran garments, but it was only when my first grandchild came along that I began to design for babies and children - for her first child my daughter had wanted a tiny sweater with a particular aran stitch on the front, I couldn't find a pattern so decided to make one up!