- Knit yourself your very own kiwi, with detailed instructions .
- Size: About 18 cm or 7 " tall and 28 cm or 11 " long from beak tip to back end.
- written knitting pattern
Materials you need at home:
- 8 Ply Yarn, DK yarn
- DK Yarn about 125 m per 50 g 50 g Grey for body and legs, 20 g beige for feet and beak, small amount of black for eyes and claws
- Knitting needles: A set of DPN's Size 3 mm (US 2.5) and a set of DPN's Size 2.5 mm (US 1.5)
- stitch marker 1 removable stitch marker toy stuffing darning needle bristle brush pins
The New Zealand kiwi is one of many endangered animals we have on our planet. It is a flightless bird, whose feathers are fur-like and it is mainly nocturnal, but apparently not always shy!
Yarn Suggestion: Rico Essentials Merino Plus Tweed DK or Viking of Norway Alpaca Storm Tension/ Gauge: This is not important when knitting this toy. The only important consideration is that the needle size used is 1 -2 sizes smaller than recommended for the yarn.
So you can use thicker or thinner yarn, as long as you adjust the needle size, the resulting bird will be either smaller or larger, depending on the yarn weight you choose.
stitch marker 1 removable stitch marker toy stuffing darning needle bristle brush pins The kiwi is knit in the round, from head to back. Some short row shaping is used for the back of the neck. Legs, feet and beak are knit separately in the round and sewn to the body. I-cord method is used also, for parts of the feet and beak. If stuffed firmly, the kiwi will stand unsupported.
I have been involved with textiles of all kinds from very early on in my life. I come from a family of artists and other creative people. Designing knitting and sewing patterns that are both beautiful and practical is my passion.