How do you make a slouchy Hat elegant? With a fine-grained textural stitch, silky yarn and an intriguing envelope finish. Then again, if you want the texture without the slouch, there’s a neat beanie version that offers structured crown shaping and a deep folded brim.
Written and charted instructions are provided for a range of five sizes. The Hat is worked bottom-up in the round, and finished with Kitchener stitch.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, specialist cast-on, joining live sts, Kitchener stitch
Gauge: 24 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.75mm needles over St.St. 24 sts x 30 rows to 4in/10cm on 3mm needles over Body stitch Pattern
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 16 (18, 20, 21, 23) in/ 40.5 (45.75, 51, 53.25, 58.5) cm (Finished size 14.5 (16, 17.25, 18.5, 20) in/ 36.75 (40.5, 43.75, 47, 51) cm)
- Written & charted instructions
Materials you need at home:
- Slouchy 180 (214, 240, 274, 308) yd/165 (193, 217, 247, 278) m sport weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Anzula Oasis (375yd/343m per 100g; 70% Camel, 30% Silk))
- Beanie 139 (173, 206, 240, 281) yd/127 (158, 189, 220, 257) m yarn
- 50yd/46m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 2.75mm/UK12/US2 & 3mm/UK11/US2½ DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- 3mm crochet hook
- Approx. 3yd/3m waste yarn
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.