Pinua comes with a story of a trip to a pine forest. Walking about, I noticed the bold, graphic qualities of the tree branches and decided that I had to try capturing that in a Hat. The result is Pinua.
It all starts with soft garter stitch interrupted by straight lines. The lines turn into tree trunks, and I used traveling stitches to mimic branches. Pinua is worked in the round, bottom-up and assumes you are comfortable with cables and twisted stitches.
Sample shown in Miss Babs Kunlun [280yd/256m per 4.4oz/125g; 70% Merino, 15% Cashmere, 15% Cultivated Silk]; shown in size 21in/53.25cm on model with 21.5in/54.5cm circumference head.
Sizes to fit: 17 [19, 21, 23] in/ 43.25 [48.25, 53.25, 58.5] cm (Finished size: 14.5 [16.25, 18.25, 20] in/ 37 [41.5, 46.25, 50.75] cm)
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, specialist cast-on, increases & decreases, knitting in the round, travelling sts.
- Written & charted instructions
- Illustrated tutorials for Alternate Cable & Crochet Provisional Cast-ons
- Pattern in metric and imperial measurements
Materials you need at home:
- 158 [183, 230, 270] yd/145 [167, 210, 246] m DK weight, plied yarn (Gauge 23 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm over St.St. / 22 sts x 46 rows to 4in/10cm over Garter St. / 22 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm over 1x1 Twisted Rib, lightly stretched / 14 st x 8 row stitch panel = 1.75in/4.5cm x 0.75in/2cm)
- 35yd/32m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 3.5mm/UK--/US4 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Cable needle as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.