Rosalind slouchy hat - knitting pattern
Rosalind features dropped stitches inside lozenge cables and is surprisingly simple to knit. Although it's knit in 4ply, those drop stitches mean that it's much quicker to knit, and you have all the fun of deliberately letting those stitches unravel!
Rosalind comes in a full 5 sizes, which means that should you wish to substitute the yarn, or should your gauge be different from the pattern, then you can easily knit another size in the pattern to get your desired fit.
Sample shown in Hand Maiden Fine Yarn Bess [300yd/275m per 100g; 88% Merino, 12% Cashmere]; shown in size 21.5in/54.5cm on model with 21.5in/54.5cm circumference head.
Sizes to fit: 16 [18.5, 20, 21.5, 23] in/40.75 [47, 50.75, 54.5, 58.5] cm (finished size: 14.25 [15.75, 17.25, 18.5, 20] in/36.25 [40, 43.75, 47, 50.75] cm).
Skills required: knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, dropped sts, specialist cast-on, cables.
- Written & charted instructions
- Illustrated tutorials for Alternate Cable & Cable cast-ons
- Pattern in metric and Imperial measurements
Materials you need at home:
- 135 [159, 193, 228, 251] yd/123 [146, 177, 209, 231] m 4-ply/fingering weight, plied yarn (Gauge 28 sts x 40 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.75mm needles over St.St.; 28 sts x 42 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.5mm needles over Twisted Rib, lightly stretched; 28 sts x 58 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.5mm needles over Garter St.)
- 42yd/39m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St. * Set 2.5mm/US1½ & 2.75mm/US2 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
- Cable needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.