Originally published in Simply Knitting, this flattering Hat is now available to purchase as an individual pattern.
The band on this Hat is knitted flat, then stitches are picked up for the body and crown, where the remainder of the Hat is worked in the round. A generous 4 sizes are included in the pattern, covering babies through to large adults.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, picking up sts
Gauge: 24 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.5mm needles over Moss (Seed).St 22 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.75mm needles over St.St
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 16 (18, 21, 23) in/ 40.75 (45.75, 53.25, 58.5) cm (Finished size 14 (16, 18, 20) in/ 35.5 (40.75, 45.75, 51) cm)
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Picking up Sts & Knitting in the Round
Materials you need at home:
- 122 (158, 199, 247) yd/111 (144, 182, 225) m DK weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Fyberspates MCN DK (225yd/206m per 100g; 80% Superwash merino, 10% Nylon, 10% Cashmere))
- 36yd/33m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm St.St swatch
- Sets 3.5mm/UK--/US4 & 3.75mm/UK9/US5 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- 1.5in/3.75cm button
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.