This is the perfect Hat for dreadlocks or big hair, as the cable and ladder stitch design has plenty of stretch and drape. The design also works well with the current casual slouchy look.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, dropped sts, specialist cast-on, cables
Gauge: 22 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.75mm needles over St.St. 22 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.75mm needles over 1x1 Rib, lightly stretched
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 17 (19, 21, 23) in/43.25 (48.25, 53.25, 58.5) cm (Finished size 14.5 (16.25, 18.25, 20) in/36.75 (41.25, 46.25, 50.75) cm)
- Written & charted instructions; illustrated tutorials for Alternate Cable Cast-on & Cabling Without a Needle
Materials you need at home:
- 122 (146, 172, 200) yd/112 (134, 158, 183) m DK weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Baah! Yarns Sonoma (233yd/213m per 100g; 100% Merino))
- 39yd/36m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 3.75mm/UK9/US5 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
- Cable needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.