Bands of frothy Silk Mist lace alternate with Tough Love Sock garter stitch ridges in this elegant cowl. The bands of lace are first worked in stockinette stitch, then reverse stockinette, creating a reversible fabric. The increases and decreases in the lace push and pull the garter ridges around to create undulating lines like ripples in the sand.
Skills required: basic knitting skills, knitting in the round, knitting with Magic Loop/two circular needles/one circular needle (your choice), yarn overs, k2tog/ssk decs, crochet cast on, working from simple lace chart or written instructions
Gauge: 21 sts and 38 rounds = 4" (10 cm) over Second Beach pattern using Silk Mist (MC) and Tough Love Sock (CC) using 3.5 mm (US 4) needle
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- 6 1⁄4" (16 cm) x 59 1⁄2" (151 cm) circumference
- Advanced beginner skill level
Materials you need at home:
- MC 1 skein SweetGeorgia Yarns Silk Mist in Mulberry; 325 yd (297 m) per 0.88 oz (25 g) skein; 60% Fine Kid Mohair, 40% Cultivated Silk
- CC 1 skein SweetGeorgia Yarns Tough Love Sock in Ultraviolet; 425 yd (388 m) per 4 oz (115 g) skein; 80% Superwash Merino Wool, 20% Nylon
- 3.5 mm (US 4) circular needle, 40" (100 cm) long
- 6 mm (US 10) needles (optional; see Notes)
- 3.5 mm crochet hook
- 1 stitch marker
A Holli Yeoh pattern is sure to offer something to learn, as well as a casually elegant aesthetic. Interesting techniques and clear instructions—developed from years of teaching and pattern writing experience—ensure a rewarding knit with beautiful results. Her work has appeared in industry leading publications including Vogue Knitting, Interweave Press, and Amirisu, as well as in her website (holli yeoh.com) and in her book Tempest, published in collaboration with SweetGeorgia Yarns.