Whirling travelling-stitch columns and a perfect pom-pom conjure up the fun of the fair in this split-brim Hat that’s both snuggly and stylish. Worn low to cover the ears and hug the face, Skelter will be your favourite winter warmer.
The pattern includes five sizes, both charted and written instructions, and tutorials for the crochet provisional cast-on, knitting in the round and cabling without a needle.
Sample shown in Rowan Pure Wool Worsted [219yd/200m per 100g; 100% Wool], shown in size 21.5in/54.5cm on model with 21.75in/55.25cm circumference head.
Sizes available: To fit size: 17 [18.5, 20, 21.5, 23] in/43.25 [47, 51, 54.5, 58.5] cm (Finished size: 15.25 [16.5, 17.75, 19, 20.25] in/38.75 [42, 45, 48.25, 51.5] cm)
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, cables, specialist cast-on.
- Written & charted instructions
- Illustrated tutorials for Cabling Without a Needle, Crochet Provisional Cast-on, Knitting in the Round
- Pattern in metric and imperial measurements
Materials you need at home:
- 88 [110, 128, 162, 189] yd/81 [101, 117, 148, 172] m worsted weight, multi-plied yarn (gauge 20 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over St.St. / 19 sts x 38 rows to 4in/10cm on 4mm needles over Garter St.)
- 63yd/58m yarn for the pompom (optional; can also be a different yarn, leftovers etc).
- 39yd/36m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in Garter St.
- Set 4mm/UK8/US6 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary , *Tapestry needle
- Cable needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.