Sophora was our 7th annual Mystery-Hat-along! Delicate false cables adorn the body of this Hat, which comes in both slouchy and beret versions.
The slouchy features a gentle gather crown; the beret features the same soft stitch pattern, reflecting that of the body.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, provisional cast-on, cables, joining live sts
Gauge: 31 sts x 42 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.5mm needles over St.St. 30 sts x 39 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.5mm needles over Stitch Pattern
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 15.5 (18, 21.5, 24) in/39.5 (45.75, 54.5, 61) cm (Finished size 13 (15.5, 18, 20.75) in/32.75 (39.25, 45.75, 52.5) cm)
- Written & charted instructions; illustrated tutorials for Provisional Cast-on & Joining Live sts
Materials you need at home:
- Slouchy 148 (213, 279, 367) yd/136 (195, 256, 336) m 4ply, fingering or sock weight, plied yarn (Beret version shown in Dream in Color Smooshy (450yd/411m per 113g; 100% Merino); Slouchy version shown in Townhouse Yarns Grafton 4ply (437yd/400m per 100g; 80% Merino, 10% Nylon, 10% Cashmere))
- Beret 174 (240, 313, 420) yd/159 (219, 286, 385) m yarn
- 35yd/32m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 2.5mm/UK--/US 1½ DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Cable needle as necessary
- 3yd/3m waste yarn
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.