My grandmother Marguerite was a classy, refined, impeccably dressed woman and a Marine in WWII! All class with lots of grit and gumption and my niece Clemie is a spitting image of her. I had them in mind when I designed “The New Kid” cardigan as it is one that I envision my grandmother slipping over her children as their “go to” cardigan.
The New Kid is a perfect cardigan for an easy classic knit with a twist. A seamless garter stitch raglan with a knitted-on cabled edge. Knitted in a worsted weight yarn it will be sure to knit up as a quick gift. Better yet it is sized for newborn through age 10 to fit all sizes of new kids in your life.
Techniques used: Increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, cabling. Instructions for the cabled edge are both fully written and charted.
- Knitting Pattern - Written instructions, chart, schematic
- 8 sizes from Newborn through Age 10
- Imperial and Metric Measurements
- Suitable for advanced beginners
Materials you need at home:
- Approximately 300 (340, 370, 410) 470 (540, 690, 780) yards / 275 (310, 338, 375) 430 (494, 630, 713) meters worsted weight yarn.
- US size 8 / 5 mm circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge with at least a 16” / 40 cm cord, plus dpns of same size or needles preferred for working small circumferences in the round.
- 8 stitch markers
- Cable needle
- Waste yarn
- Tapestry needle
- Removable stitch marker (optional).