Toscane: a lovely chunky lace shawl, named after that gorgeous burned orange color so often found in the hills of Tuscany. This particular color was achieved by dyeing the Ístex Léttlopi yarn with madder. Dye your own with the tutorial or choose one of the many available colors. Toscane is a fast, top-down knit and bound to become a favorite!
Written and charted instructions are included for the lace body of the shawl.
Size and finished measurements: One size: Wingspan of 177 cm (69 ½ inches) and a depth of 75 cm (29 ½ inches), measured after blocking. This shawl can however easily be adjusted in size.
Difficulty level: Stitches used include knit, purl, yo, k2tog, skp, double decreases, make 1 with a backward loop as well as knitting through the back loop. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
- Written and charted pattern
- Instructions in English
- US Imperial and metric measurements
- Suitable for the intermediate knitter
- Links to tutorials by the designer for techniques used
- Gauge is not critical in this design. For the sample shawl measured after blocking 9.2 sts / 18.8 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over lace pattern.
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size).
Materials you need at home:
- 400 m (437 yds) Ístex Léttlopi (100% wool; 100 m (109 yds) / 50 g). Substitute any aran weight wool yarn for a similar result.
- 5 mm (US 8 / 80 cm (32 inch) circular needles.
- Yarn needle
- 2 stitch markers to indicate the center stitch
- 22 stitch markers (optional)
How lovely to meet you! I’m Susanne Visch and I live in the Netherlands. Not only the country of tulips, cheese, and windmills but also of Dutch Design.
I find it important to provide user-friendly instructions for interesting patterns. In most cases, my patterns feature both written and charted instructions, with detailed explanations of the techniques used.