Medieval inspiration looks thoroughly up to date in this distinctive sculptural Hat. The unusual construction makes for a fun knit that works up fast in bulky yarn.
The pattern includes four sizes, with a construction schematic and tutorials for I-cord and the crochet bind-off.
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, I-cords, Crochet bind-off
Gauge: 14 sts x 20 rows to 4in/10cm on 6mm needles over St.St.
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 18 (20, 22, 24) in/45.75 (50.75, 56, 61) cm (Finished size 15.5 (17.25, 18.75, 20.5) in/39.5 (43.75, 47.75, 52) cm)
- Written instructions; construction schematic; illustrated tutorials for I-cords and Crochet Bind-off
Materials you need at home:
- 99 (119, 142, 151) yd/91 (110, 130, 139) m bulky weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Dream in Color Groovy (120yd/110m per 113g/4oz; 100% Merino))
- 26yd/24m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 6mm/UK4/US10 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- 6mm crochet hook
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Waste yarn or stitch holders
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.