Having made a cowl to highlight this gorgeous red and pink hand spun yarn, I of course also had to make a matching hat! Make your version of Tulpa the hat in any gradient fingering or light fingering weight yarn. Whatever you choose: This is bound to be an entertaining knit with a stunning result!
This pattern contains instructions for 7 sizes, ranging from a finished size of 42.5 cm up to 63.5 cm (16.75 to 25 inches). The Tulpa hat is seamless and knitted from the bottom up. The instructions for the lace panel are provided both charted and written out.
Difficulty level: The Tulpa hat is seamless and worked in the round from the bottom up. Stitches used include knit, purl, k2tog, p2tog, skp, twisted stitches, yo, as well as centered, left-leaning, and right-leaning double decreases. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements: Sizes 1 (2, 3, 4) [5, 6, 7]:
- Finished circumference of 42.5 (45.5, 49.5, 52.5) [56.5, 60.5, 63.5] cm or 16.75 (18, 19.5, 20.75) [22.25, 23.75, 25] inches.
- Finished height of 17 (18.5, 19.5, 20.5) [21, 22, 25] cm or 6.75 (7.25, 7.75, 8) [8.25, 8.75, 9.75] inches.
When choosing your hat size, take 2.5-5 cm (1-2 inches) of negative ease into account for a fitted hat. For a more slouchy fit, take 0-5 cm (0-2 inches) of positive ease into account.
Yarn: 86 (102, 118, 129) [139, 156, 182] m (94 (112, 129, 141) [153, 170, 200] yds) / 16 (19, 22, 24) [26, 29, 34] g 2-ply hand spun yarn 50% wool, 50% silk; 531 m (581 yds) / 99 g, with a WPI of 15.
Substitute any fingering or light fingering weight wool/silk blend gradient yarn for a similar result.
Knitting needles: - Needles in your preferred style for small circumference knitting in the round in the following sizes (or to match gauge): Size 2.5 mm (US 1 ½) – for ribbed brim Size 3 mm (US 2 ½) – for body of the hat - Yarn needle - 1 end-of-round stitch marker - 7 stitch markers
- Written pattern
- Instructions in English
- US Imperial and metric measurements
- Suitable for the intermediate knitter
- Links to tutorials by the designer for techniques used
- ulpa the hat is written for a gauge of 23 sts / 39 rounds = 10 cm (4 inches) over reverse stockinette after washing and gentle blocking.
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
Materials you need at home:
- Yarn needle
- 7 stitch markers
- 1 differently colored end-of-round stitch marker
How lovely to meet you! I’m Susanne Visch and I live in the Netherlands. Not only the country of tulips, cheese, and windmills but also of Dutch Design.
I find it important to provide user-friendly instructions for interesting patterns. In most cases, my patterns feature both written and charted instructions, with detailed explanations of the techniques used.