UHURA is a hat that is rustic and fururistic alike thanks to robust tweed yarn and an intersting not-your-everyday-hat design. The uneven edge forms tiny concave tips that nevertheless do the trick to keep your ears warm but avoid the hat to slip over your eyes – the perfect solution for all who find earflaps a bit too folkloristic.
The colour range of the original yarn inspired me to a shipload of hats – just have a look at the pictures to give you an idea of the endless possibilities for your personal UHURA hat!
Skill level: Advanced beginner
Gauge: 18 stitches x 27 rows = 10 x 10 cm = 4 x 4 inches (I knitted very tight!)
- Detailed pattern for three different versions in ladies size
- Many tipps how to alter the pattern for any gauge and any size – the pattern is very versatile!
- Many suggestions for your own colourway
- Step-by-step tutorials with pictures for the more elaborate techniques (yarn over increases, decreases)
Materials you need at home:
Original yarn: Donegal Yarns Aran Tweed Knitting Wool from Kilcar in Donegal, Ireland, 100 % wool, 160 m/100 g (80 m/50 g). Order here: commodum.ie or at Ebay.
For example: Beanie version with grey and white stripes and purple band * Purple 4814: 20 g * White 1443: 35 g * Light grey 2017: 35 g
For example: Short version with pompom * Purple 4814: 40 g * White 1443: 14 g * Light grey 2017: 7 g * Pompom: 15 bis 20 g
Alternative yarns, for example: * Kilcarra Tweed from Landlust * Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed Aran, LL 88 m/50 g * Plymouth Yarn Homestead Tweed, LL 175 m/100 g * Katia Scotch Tweed, LL 95 m/50 g
- Circular needle 80 cm, 3.5 or 4 mm
- Set of double pointed needles 3.5 or 4 mm
- Crochet hook 4 mm
- Optional: Pompom Maker or fake fur pompom
What others have made
I love knitting! (There will be a longer version of my introduction soon, but for the time being, this sentence says it all, doesn't it?)