Vintage-style Mesh Bag Crochet Pattern
Crochet pattern for two elegant and practical mesh bags, adapted from a wonderful 1930s pattern. This is not your average bag and has been carefully designed with a number of important features:
- The bag folds in on itself and is secured with a drawstring, so you can easily keep it in your handbag, glovebox, etc. without it getting tangled.
- The handles are broader than usual, to avoid them cutting in to your hands.
- The mesh is closer at the bottom of the bag to support the contents.
- The mesh in the top part of the bag adjusts to better accommodate the contents.
And in addition to all the practicalities, it's pretty and elegant! You have the option of adding beads to further embellish your bag. 1930s ladies knew how to look smart!
Unlike most 'string' bags, this one is easily nice enough to give as a gift.
Choose 4ply/sport-weight yarn for the Regular bag or No 5 Crochet Cotton for the Small bag - full details are given in the pattern.
Two patterns are included:
- a small bag that is perfect for a drink and sandwich, a paperback, or small crochet project, at approximately 26cm (10”) across the top. It is about 8cm (3¼”) across when tucked into itself. It also makes a delightful bag for a child.
- a regular bag that is great for all occasions, at approximately 45cm (17½”) across the top rim. It is a compact 10cm (4”) across when tucked into itself. It can also be made with a long (shoulder) strap.
This 20-page, fully-illustrated pattern is available in UK or US crochet terminology - both versions will be available to you on purchase, just choose whichever you prefer to use.
Important features of my crochet patterns: My crochet patterns include both a detailed 'tutorial-style' set of instructions with colour photos, and a succinct unillustrated pattern using standard crochet conventions - the best of both worlds!
All my patterns come with my full support. If you have any difficulties at all when working the pattern, please e-mail me and I will be happy to provide further diagrams and explanations.
Please see my other crochet patterns.
Once purchased, this pattern remains the copyright of Little Conkers. You may not reproduce all or any part of this pattern. Please do not sell items made from this pattern, without express prior permission (which is usually granted) and credit.
- illustrated with colour photos ,
- different sizes included ,
- UK and US versions ,
- full e-mail support ,
Materials you need at home:
- To complete the small bag, you will need
- 120m (130yards) of a No.5 crochet cotton or 3ply (fingering or sock) yarn of your choice. ,
- a 2.5mm (B/1 - C/2) crochet hook
- 230m (250yards) of a 4ply (sport-weight) yarn of your choice. ,
- a 3mm (C/2 - D/3) crochet hook
Little Conkers exists to help you get the most from your time and pennies - whether you're making something for yourself or as a gift - as a way of spreading the joy of creativity.
I know that, for many people, creativity is often fitted into the slivers of time that you can find between all the other "must dos" in your life. But you know that making something yourself means it can be exactly what you need, look exactly how you want and can give you untold pleasure day after day.
My sewing and crochet patterns are specifically designed with the time-strapped and frugal in mind, requiring no superfluous equipment and including practical suggestions on how to up-cycle materials wherever possible.
I am a real person, and always love to hear from my customers all around the world. All my patterns come with my full e-mail support, so do feel free to ask any questions you may have. Enjoy your creating!