Yunagi tunic - hand knitting pattern
Linen in winter feels chilly to me, it is truly a material for summer. Quince & Co. Sparrow is used for this relaxed-fit pullover, Yunagi, inspired by ocean waves. Picturing a long walk on the beach in the evening, when it gets cooler and the wind gets stronger. We need a day like that every once in a while in summer.
This knitting pattern includes written directions, front and back images, a schematic with measurements and thoughtful details.
Notes The pullover is worked in one piece from the front hem, up and over the shoulders, and down the back to the back hem. Sleeve stitches are cast on at the end of two rows and later, bound off at the beginning of two rows. Sleeve and neckline shaping is achieved through short rows. The lower body is worked in Stockinette stitch. The sleeves and upper body are worked in a textured stitch with lace stripes worked across the front chest and sleeves. When it’s completed, throw it in the washing machine and dryer to soften up the linen. The more times it’s washed, the more comfortable it is to wear.
Skills required: Increases/decreases, provisional crochet cast on, short rows, working lace/mesh from written instructions; short rows, dolman sleeve sweater construction, worked flat, one piece, seaming.
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Written instructions for stitch patterns
- Detailed schematic
- Finished chest measurements: XS (S, M, L, XL, XXL) = 37 3⁄4 (40 3⁄4, 42 1⁄4, 46, 51 1⁄2, 55 1⁄4)" / 96 (103.5, 107.5, 117, 131, 140.5) cm; intended to be work with approx 8" / 20 cm positive ease
Materials you need at home:
- Fingering weight yarn; 1700 (1740, 1815, 2030, 2210, 2365) yards / 1555 (1590, 1660, 1860, 2020, 2165) m
- Shown here in: Quince & Co. Sparrow (100% organic linen; 168 yards / 155 m; 50g); 11 (11, 11, 13, 14, 15) skeins
- US 2 (2.75 mm) 32"/ 80 cm (or longer) circular needle
- US 3 (3.25 mm) 32"/ 80 cm (or longer) circular needle
- US 4 (3.5 mm) 32"/ 80 cm (or longer) circular needle
- US D-3 (3.25 mm) crochet hook (for Crochet Cast-On)
- Stitch markers (4)
- tapestry needle
A Holli Yeoh pattern is sure to offer something to learn, as well as a casually elegant aesthetic. Interesting techniques and clear instructions—developed from years of teaching and pattern writing experience—ensure a rewarding knit with beautiful results. Her work has appeared in industry leading publications including Vogue Knitting, Interweave Press, and Amirisu, as well as in her website (holli yeoh.com) and in her book Tempest, published in collaboration with SweetGeorgia Yarns.