Lingerie challenge : sew the Léonie panties and win gifts!
We are so excited to invite you to our Lingerie Sewing Challenge designer and lovely partner: Atelier de Guillemette!
We've decided to launch this challenge because at Makerist we definitely believe in a more inclusive world. Underwear is one of those topics that still feels a little taboo to some - but why should it? Everybody wears them (well, most people 🤭), and a lot of the time underwear is one of those off-the-rack garments we just resign ourselves to never fitting quiiite right.
One topic we're really passionate about at Makerist is size inclusivity. The fashion industry has been dominated with unrealistic and unhealthy body representation for decades, and one of the best things about creating a platform for independent pattern designers is we have the opportunity to showcase patterns for a diverse range of body types.
Now, of course we're not perfect - we know not all the patterns on Makerist have as broad a size range as we'd like, but this is something we're activity working towards. Grading patterns beyond the 'industry standard' range is time consuming and costly for designers. Challenges like these are a great way to get people talking and show designers that there's a real market out there for people who fall outside the standard sizing and want to make their own clothes.
We hope you'll join us in discussing this topic over on Instagram, and highly encourage you to dm or tag your favorite designers in this topic to let them know an interest in improving size ranges and the types of models used in pattern imagery.
What is our Lingerie Sewing Challenge about?
- From the 1st to the 30th of June we're inviting you to sew the Léonie panties from Atelier de Guillemette and ... to sew it your way
- When you're done with the sewing part, take a picture and post it on Instagram with the hashtag #makeristlingeriechallenge before the 30th of June.
- The jury will then choose the 3 winners of the challenge.
Download the Léonie panties patterns
What are the categories for the challenge?At the end of the challenge, 3 winners will be chosen by Guillemette and our Makerist team :
- 1 winner for the category "Humor Award" : we would like to show that lingerie - and more specifically - sewing your lingerie - is a fun activity that makes you feel confident. Make us laugh and ofcourse the most important part is to: have fun!
- 1 winner for the category "Creative award" : for this category, we'll check the decor, the fabrics you've chosen, the nice accessories you may pick... Be creative and once again, have fun! We can't wait to see your ideas! Imagine your world and show it to us.
- 1 winner for the category "Body positivity award" : we thought about this sewing challenge, mostly as a body positivity challenge, as we want you to embrace every body, because every body is beautiful - We want you to feel more self-confident, strong and beautiful. For this category, we would suggest for you to pick an adjective to describe the woman you are : "bold", "passionnate", "empowered"... Choose an adjective and describe it in a picture and in the text under your picture!
How do i take part for a category on Instagram?
You may take part in one or all of the categories with the same pictures or you may also publish several pictures, anything is possible! With only one exception: if you take part in the "Body positivity award", we're inviting you to write the adjective you've chosen in the description of the picture
Conditions for the challenge
- Publish a picture of the Léonie panties (free pattern) on Instagram between the 1st and the 30th of June with the hashtag #makeristlingeriechallenge
- Follow us and our partners on Instagram: @atelierdeguillemette, @prym.consumer, @spoonflower, @luloveshandmade and @makerist_com
- Several pictures per participant are allowed
Download the Léonie panties pattern here
The gifts to be wonEach winner of the challenge will receive:
Prym will offer a Steam Iron Mini to each of the 3 winnersEach of the winners will receive a Steam Iron Mini with UK plug. Prym is the oldest industrial family-owned company in Germany with roots going back to 1530. For 150 years now we have been developing handicraft and sewing accessories, always with the purpose of making the art of handicrafts easier for each generation. For Prym, functionality and quality have always been a decisive yardstick, together with the special requirements of our users. Our products stand out because of the high quality of their materials, their long life, ergonomic qualities, and user-friendliness.
Spoonflower will offer 1meter of this fabric to each winnerEach winner will receive one meter of this body incluse cotton spandex jersey fabric from Spoonflower, perfect to sew more underwear or anything else you would like! You would receive this fabric directly at home.
Luloveshandmade will offer 1 tee-shirt to each of the winnersWe are more than happy to offer to each of the winners a tee-shirt to choose (here or here) from Luloveshandmade's shop. Lu is also working at Makerist in our German team and we're happy to have such talented people in our company.
Makerist will offer a $50 voucher to each of the winnersLast but not least, we are offering a $50 voucher on the whole Makerist shop for each of the winners!
The Agenda for JuneDuring the month of June, we'll invite you to Instagram lives around body positivity :
- Friday the 11th of June 7PM CEST : Instagram live - sewalong to sew together the Léonie panties : our two lovely ambassadors will sew the Léonie panties with you on our Instagram channel @makerist_com! You may ask all your questions and sew step by step with our ambassadors. Please prepare your pattern and fabrics before the live so that you can start sewing right away!
- 16th of June - 8.30pm : Instagram live - body confidence tips around sewing with our lovely designer @fitiyoo_lingerie. Why sewing is a good therapy for more body confidence? Why do we need more body inclusivity? Ask all your questions and come to listen to the answers from Julie from Fitiyoo!
- A blog article about pregnancy and self confidence from our ambassador: you definitely want to know more about this topic so stay connected!
Some tips from Guillemette to choose your fabrics for Léonie
The main tip from Guillemette? Don't go over 200 g/m² for the weight of your fabric to sew Léonie.