This is the perfect pattern for showcasing hand-dyed yarns and funky buttons! The pattern starts with a deep sideways knit band and continues into the crown by working in the round. Using only a single skein and one rather large button, this Hat would make a perfect gift. Modern and stylish, it’s a quick and relaxing knit too.
Buttons available from Tree Gems: http://www.folksy.com/shops/TreeGems
Skills required: Knit & purl sts, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, picking up sts
Gauge 24 sts x 36 rows to 4in/10cm on 3mm needles over St.St 23 sts x 32 rows to 4in/10cm on 3mm needles over Moss (Seed) St.
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 18 (20, 22) in/ 45.75 (51, 56) cm (Finished size 16 (18, 20) in/ 40.75 (45.75, 51) cm)
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Picking up Sts & Knitting in the Round
Materials you need at home:
- 146 (174, 224) yd/134 (160, 206) m DK weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Squein Queen Plushness (300yd/275m per 100g; 80% Wool, 10% Angora, 10% Cashmere))
- 36yd/33m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm St.St swatch
- Set 3mm/UK11/US2½ DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Pair 3mm/UK11/US2½ straight needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- 1 x Tree Gems 3.25in/8cm button
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.