This striking design is simpler than it looks! The vertical stripes are achieved through stranded colourwork, and is the perfect pattern for trying this technique. The deep folded brim ensures warmth and a good fit.
Pattern is worked bottom up and is provided in 4 sizes. Instructions are included for both a 3-point and a 4-point crown.
Skills required: Knit & purl stitches, knitting in the round, stranded knitting, provisional cast-on, joining live sts
Gauge: 27 sts x 40 rows to 4in/10cm on 3mm needles over St.St. 33 sts x 38 rows to 4in/10cm on 3mm needles over Stranded pattern
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 16 (18, 21, 23) in/ 40.75 (45.75, 53.25, 58.5) cm (Finished size 15.5 (17.25, 19.25, 21.25) in/ 39.5 (43.75, 49, 54) cm)
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Provisional cast-on, Picking up Sts & Joining Live Sts; Crown shaping schematic
Materials you need at home:
- Yarn A 83 (112, 133, 179) yd/76 (102, 122, 164) m fingering/4ply/light sport weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport (184yd/168m per 50g; 100% Wool))
- Yarn B 61 (82, 98, 125) yd/56 (75, 90, 114) m
- 40yd/36m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 3mm/UK11/US2½ DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- 3mm/USC crochet hook (provisional cast-on)
- 3yd/3m waste yarn (provisional cast-on)
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.