Oxford Purse easy shoulder bag with video tutorial
The Oxford Purse is a great everyday shoulder bag that even a sewing beginner can easily sew. It’s lightweight, doesn’t need any difficult to find materials or hardware, and is just the right size. She’ll easily carry your wallet, phone, keys and more but her lightweight design means you won’t be weighed down.
Oxford has: * darts front and back to give shape and volume * a curved flap that closes with a magnetic snap * a fixed length strap – choose your own length for a bag that fits on your shoulder, sits at the waist or the hip, or you can carry crossbody * a simple slip pocket on the lining (add two if you like) * an easy to sew design with only three simple pattern pieces needed – the body of the bag, the flap and the pocket * an easy to print and assemble pattern * step by step photo instructions * a full-length sew-along video tutorial
Skill level: Suitable for beginners. The photo step by step instructions are supported by additional articles on the blog if you need further explanation such as for sewing darts or installing the magnetic snap.
Finished size (approx) One size – 9.5” wide x 8” tall x 2.5” deep (24cm wide x 20cm tall x 6cm deep), handle drop 16” (40cm)
What is covered in the sew-along video? The full-length 1 hour 20 minutes video covers each step of sewing the bag from start to finish including lots of tips for:
- how to print and assemble the pattern and use it to cut your fabric
- how to sew and press the darts
- how to reduce the bulk in seams by nesting darts
- how to install the magnetic snap
- tips for topstitching around curves so your flap will look fabulous
Materials needed to sew the Oxford Purse: * Outer fabric of your choice such as canvas, linen, quilting cotton, home decor fabrics etc * A different fabric if you like for the flap * Lining fabric, I suggest a pretty quilting cotton * A magnetic snap * Woven fusible interfacing * Fusible fleece
- Full sewing pattern and instructions with printable pattern pieces
- Measurments in inches and cm
- Full length video step by step tutorial for how to sew the bag
- Step by step photo instructions
Materials you need at home:
- Outer fabric, linen, canvas, home decor fabrics, quilting cotton or similar
- Lining fabric, quilting cotton
- 1 x magnetic snap
- Woven fusible interfacing and fusible fleece
Sew Simple Bags
Hello and welcome to Sew Simple Bags, where my range of easy sewing patterns for bags of all types can give you great results even if you are a complete beginner. You’ll find sewing patterns for totes, purses, organizers and storage, wallets and more, all written with the beginner in mind. Many of the patterns come with a full step by step sewing video tutorial so you won't put a stitch wrong.