Sometimes it’s tricky to convince kids to wrap up warm on cold days, but they’ll love wearing this funky, skater-style hat.
The stripes and pointy shape are lots of fun, and you can rest assured that little ears are warm under those cute ear flaps.
Girls will love this design just as much as boys – just use their favourite colours!
Skills required: Knit & purl stitches, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, slipped stitches, blanket stitch
Gauge: 24 sts x 34 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.25mm needles over St.St. 23 sts x 38 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.5mm needles over Slipped Stitch pattern 23 sts x 40 rows to 4in/10cm on 3.25mm needles over Garter Stitch
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 14 (16, 17.5, 19) in/ 35.5 (40.75, 44.5, 48.25) cm (Finished size 12.5 (14, 15.25, 16.75) in/ 31.75 (35.5, 38.75, 42.5) cm)
- Written & charted instructions; illustrated tutorials for Knitting in the round & Blanket Stitch
Materials you need at home:
- Yarn A 44 (58, 75, 93) yd/40 (54, 69, 85) m DK weight, plied yarn (Sample shown in Wendy Merino DK (129yd/118m per 50g; 100% Merino))
- Yarn B 32 (38, 46, 54) yd/29 (35, 42, 50) m
- 43yd/40m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St. in either yarn
- Set 3.25mm/UK10/US3 & 3.5mm/UK--/US4 DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.