Sumner beanie hat - knitting pattern
Circles disappear with perfect precision into the crown of this beanie that features a deep folded brim and clever tucks. The stitches add shape while the 4ply yarn ensures there is no bulk which makes this a year-round Hat to knit and wear.
Skills required: Knit & purl stitches, knitting in the round, increases & decreases, provisional cast-on, joining live stitches, picking up stitches, knitted tucks
Gauge: 30 sts x 44 rows to 4in/10cm on 2.5mm needles over St.St.
- Illustrated knitting pattern
- Metric and imperial measurements
- Sizes to fit 17 (19, 21, 23) in/ 43.25 (48.25, 53.25, 58.5) cm (Finished size 15 (17, 19.25, 21.25) in/ 38 (43.25, 49, 54) cm)
- Written instructions; illustrated tutorials for Provisional cast-on, Picking up Sts & Joining Live Sts
Materials you need at home:
- 168 (220, 279, 346) yd/154 (201, 255, 317) m 4ply/fingering/sock weight, multi-plied yarn (Sample shown in BabyLongLegs Semi~Precious 4ply (437yd/400m per 100g; 50% Merino, 50% Silk))
- 47yd/43m yarn for a 6x6in/15x15cm swatch in St.St.
- Set 2.5mm/UK--/US 1½ DPNs/Circular or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker as necessary
- Tapestry needle
- Shown in size 21in/51cm on model with 21.5in/54.5cm circumference head
Woolly Wormhead is a Hat Architect.
With an instinctive flair for unusual construction and a passion for innovation, Woolly Wormhead is a designer whose patterns are trusted and celebrated by knitters all over the world. As a designer, Woolly is driven by a need to create and develop her understanding of 3D form. Communicating her ideas and sharing her specialised knowledge with her audiences is key to Woolly’s success as a designer. Woolly's high quality pattern writing ensures perfect results, teaches new skills and encourages us all to become Hat architects.
Each Hat design is an original Woolly Wormhead innovation. These designs are created using unusual construction techniques and intriguing stitch combinations, resulting in unique and versatile pieces.
Each pattern is carefully developed and every effort is made to ensure that the instructions are as clear as possible. All patterns include a range of sizes, and many have additional design options and notes for alterations. Where possible, illustrated tutorials for specialist techniques are also included.